User menu

Menu

Main menu

Browse Locations

Broughal Middle School

The original Broughal Middle School was designed by A.W. Leh. It was built on the corner of Packer Avenue and Brodhead Avenue between 1915 and 1916 and served as the South Side High School.

Butler Street

In 1965, Butler Street became part of the Packer Avenue Urban Renewal Project. The project demolished homes, schools, and businesses to allow for the expansion of the Lehigh University Campus. The Lost Neighborhood tour seeks to document locations lost to the Packer Avenue Urban Renewal Project.

Camel's Hump

This area was formerly known as Quaker Hill.  Circa 1920, Archibald Johnston purchased the property and renamed it Camel's Hump because of the appearance of the hill.

Campus Square/Farrington Square

Architect: Bohlin, Cywinski, Jackson

Dates: 2002 Type: Multipurpose, Academic

Central School

Like Broughal Middle School, Central School was an important place for the children of the neighborhood. Not only was it the elementary school for most of the children not attending parochial schools, but it was one of the main gathering places in the neighborhood.

Chandler-Ullmann Hall

Architect: Addison Hutton (1834-1916)
Patrons: William H. Chandler; Harry M. Ullmann
Dates: 1882-1884, Extending of the West Wing 1929, Ullmann Wing added 1937, 1976 remodel
Type: Academic
Nickname: Chandler
Name Variations: Chemical Laboratory

Christmas-Saucon Hall

Christmas

  • Architect: ---
  • Patrons: Moravian Church
  • Dates: 1865, 1866 Purchased by Lehigh University
  • Type: Religious, Academic, Residential

Saucon

College Theater (Today: Brodhead House)

Demolished 1978

Brodhead House
1978-1979
Name Variation: Hotel Brodhead
In honor of Albert Brodhead, Class of 1888

Construction

By 1966 the City of Bethlehem acquired the last of the homes in the Lost Neighborhood through purchase and eminent domain. By 1967, the demolition of the homes in the Lost Neighborhood was complete and construction began.

Pages