Many former residents of the South Side remember buying fresh cuts of meat at the M & M meat store. The image on the right is an advertisement that the store placed in Lehigh University's 1929 Epitome Yearbook.
The New Merchants Hotel, at the corner of Fourth and New Streets, was a hotel and popular drinking destination. Steel workers would also stop in the hotel bar on the way home from work. The establishment was not just for the guys though; ladies had their very own lounge at the hotel.
In 1965, Butler Street became part of the Packer Avenue Urban Renewal Project. The project demolished homes, schools, and businesses to allow for the expansion of the Lehigh University Campus. The Lost Neighborhood tour seeks to document locations lost to the Packer Avenue Urban Renewal Project.
"Verona Street was kind of neat in those days because it was sloped, slanted. And when it snowed, the city would put ashes on Morton Street and we could sleigh ride right from the top of Packer Avenue all the way down to the bottom of Morton Street." -Mr.
Dates: Late 1950s-Late 1960s, Lehigh University Purchased 5 of the 8 buildings in 1986, Lehigh University purchased the last 2 in 2013
Type: Commercial, Academic
Name Variations: Mountain Top Campus