Many former residents of the South Side remember buying fresh cuts of meat at the M & M meat store. The image on the right is an advertisement that the store placed in Lehigh University's 1929 Epitome Yearbook.
"There was never any snow on Martel Street in the wintertime from the heat that rose up from the pipes...the Central heating system also used to heat Broughal..The pipes ran under the street." -John Iampietro, former resident
Architect: Frederick Larson Patrons: Lehigh Alumni Association Dates: 1955-1956, Dedicated 1957 Type: Residential Nickname: M&M In Honor of Lehigh Alumni Howard Hale McClintic and Charles Donnell Marshall
The original McCrory’s building is located on the busy northeast corner of New and 3rd Street, and is now a storefront that encompasses five separate businesses from 3 East 3rd Street to 11 East 3rd Street. The large, ornately-carved stone structure was built in
Dates: 1958-1961, 1986 Purchased by Lehigh University
Patron: Bethlehem Steel Corporation, Lee Iacocca
Type: Commercial, Academic
Name Variation: Homer Research Labs of Bethlehem Steel (original)
The New Merchants Hotel, at the corner of Fourth and New Streets, was a hotel and popular drinking destination. Steel workers would also stop in the hotel bar on the way home from work. The establishment was not just for the guys though; ladies had their very own lounge at the hotel.